Galice To Hellgate Back Country Byway
Department Of Transportation.
Drive on a road that traverses magnificent vistas of rocky river canyons and whitewater rapids, set against densely wooded hillsides. During one portion of this 39-mile route, the road climbs away from the river and into the Siskiyou Mountains, treating you to a spectacular view of nearby mountains and stands of Douglas fir.
Spend a few hours on the Rogue River enjoying the great white water rafting, fishing or taking a guided tour—the wooded slopes along the river provide a pleasant and relaxing view. Explore the paths alongside the river. One of the best hiking trails around is the famous Rogue River Wild and Scenic Trail.
Known as the "Gateway to the Wild and Scenic Rogue River", the town of Merlin is the perfect spot to pick up your supplies to enjoy this tour to explore the back roads of southern Oregon.
Getting to the Byway:
From Grants Pass:
- In the town of Grants Pass, merge onto I-5 N/OR-99 N via the ramp to Portland.
- In 0.3 miles take exit 61 toward Merlin. Here the byway begins.
- In the town of Roseburg merge onto NW Mulholland Dr.
- After 0.2 miles turn left at NW Garden Valley Blvd.
- After 64 miles merge onto I-5 S via the ramp to Grants Pass.
- In 0.2 miles take exit 61 toward Merlin. Here the byway begins.
Navigating the Byway:
- The byway begins at the Merlin exit (exit 61) and heads west.
- Head west on Merlin Road for 3 miles.
- When you reach the town of Merlin turn left onto Pleasant Valley Road for about 1/2 mile.
- Turn right and continue west on Galice Road.
- After 12 miles, when you reach the town of Galice, continue west on BLM 35-8-2 Road.
- After 2.2 miles, turn left to stay on BLM 35-8-2 Road.
- After 3 miles, continue on BLM 35-9-1.2 Road.
- In 2.6 miles make a slight left at BLM 35-8-2 Road.
- After 3.3 miles turn right at BLM 34-8-36 Road.
- Continue on Bear Camp Road/National Forest Develop Road 23 (NFD 23 Road) for 7 miles.
- The byway ends at Bear Camp Pasture Recreation Site, at the edge of the Siskiyou National Forest