Lower Crooked River Back Country Byway
Department of Transportation.
Meander past scenic bluffs, juniper trees and the blue-green waters of the Lower Crooked River as you drive on the Lower Crooked River Back Country Byway. Canyon walls along the byway extend vertically in several places, adding to the scenic diversity of the area.
Cross into the hilly sections of Oregon's high sagebrush desert, follow a striking river canyon and catch glimpses of the blue-green waters of the Lower Crooked River. Many recreational opportunities await your discovery along the road, such as the bumpy edges of volcanic basalt that crisscrosses many parts of the area. Hunt and fish in this canyon country as the Native Americans once did centuries ago.
Traversing rugged landscape that is nearly as untouched as it was a century ago, the Lower Crooked River Scenic Byway is a visual treat to all visitors.
Getting to the Byway:
Bend to Prineville:
- In the town of Bend head southeast on 20/NW Greenwood Ave toward NW Gasoline Alley.
- After 1/2 mile turn left at NE 3rd St/NW Division St/OR-97/US-20.
- After 1 mile merge onto US-97 N via the ramp to Portland/Redmond.
- After 1.5 miles continue on OR-97.
- After 13.5 miles continue on SW Canal Blvd/US-97.
- in 0.3 miles turn right at SW Evergreen Ave/OR-126.
- Continue on SW Evergreen Ave/OR-126 for 17.8 miles into Prineville. Here the byway begins.
Madras to Prineville:
- In the town of Madras head west on SE D St toward SW 4th St/US-26/US-97.
- Turn left at SW 4th St/US-26/US-97.
- After 1.8 miles make a slight left at OR-26.
- After 6.4 miles continue on US-26.
- After 19.7 miles turn right at NW 3rd St/OR-126 and continue on to Prineville. Here the byway begins.
Navigating the Byway:
- The byway begins in the town of Prineville. In Prineville head northeast on NW 3rd St/OR-126 toward US-26.
- After 1 mile turn right at N Main St/OR-27.
- After 45 miles the byway ends at the juncture of US-20 and OR-27.