Lower Mississippi Historic Scenic Byway
Department of Transportation.
This one-hundred-mile-plus route paralleling the Mississippi River is a virtual diary of American history, capturing multiple sites of historical significance. It tells the story of Antebellum America, the Civil War, and its aftermath. Without these legacies, we could not truly appreciate the tragedies and triumphs that created our nation.
Getting to the Byway:
- Take I-20 west to US-80 in Vicksburg where you enter the byway.
New Orleans, LA
- Take I-10 northwest to Baton Rouge, LA.
- Merge onto I-110 and go north to US-61.
- Follow US-61 north to Mississippi where the byway begins.
Navigating the Byway:
Issaquena County Line to Vicksburg
- Begin on US Highway 61 at the Issaquena County line and travel
south along US Highway 61 in Warren County to Business 61 (North
- Travel on North Washington Street to downtown Vicksburg.
- Continue traveling on Washington Street as it merges into
- Travel Warrington Road to US Highway 61.
Vicksburg to Port Gibson
- Continue on US Highway 61 South to Claiborne County.
- Upon entering Claiborne County continue traveling south on US
- At Grand Gulf Road, travel west to Grand Gulf Military
- Return on Grand Gulf Road to US Highway 61.
- Travel south on US Highway 61 to Port Gibson.
Port Gibson to Natchez
- US Highway 61 at Port Gibson is known as Church Street.
- At the intersection of Church Street and Orange Street travel
west on Orange Street, past the Claiborne County Courthouse, to
- Travel south on Market Street four (4) blocks, past Mississippi
Cultural Crossroads,"Matt Ross" Administrative Building, Harriette
Pearson Memorial Library, and the Meyer Marx Building until you
reach Carroll Street.
- Return to Church Street and travel south on US Highway 61 to
the Jefferson County line.
- This corridor also includes Rodney Road, which is Carroll
Street (west of Market Street).
- Travel west on Rodney Road, past the Shaifer House and grounds;
travel past the Ruins of Windsor where Rodney Road merges into
- Travel past Alcorn State University on Highway 552 back to US
- Travel south on US Highway 61 until you reach Adams County and
continue on US 61.
Natchez to Louisiana State Line
- Take Highway 61 through the City of Natchez to the US Highway 61/84
Interchange; travel west on US Highway 84 to the Natchez Intermodal
Center at the Mississippi River Bridge.
- Return to US Highway 61/84 interchange and travel south on US
Highway 61 through the southern portion of Natchez to Wilkinson
- Travel south on US Highway 61 through Woodville to the
Louisiana state line. This terminates the Lower Mississippi Section
of the Great River Road.