Ohio River Scenic Byway - Indiana
Department of Transportation.
Traversing the lush hills and farmlands of southern Indiana, and paralleling the mighty Ohio River, this route marks a timeworn and history-rich corridor linking historic villages and farms through a picturesque landscape. Rock outcroppings, forested hills, caves, scenic waterways, and limestone bluffs will provide beautiful pictures for you to cherish.
Getting to the Byway:
###From Indianapolis, IN###
- Take I-65 south to the Jeffersonville exit, mile marker 0.
- Follow the exit ramp to Market Street and turn right.
- Turn left at the next stop sign onto Southern Indiana Ave. and right onto Riverside Dr. where the byway runs east and west along the river.
###From Terre Haute, IN###
- Take US-41 south through Evansville.
- Exit on Veteran’s Memorial Parkway.
- Follow the parkway for 3.1 miles before connecting to Riverside Dr. in Evansville.
###From Cincinnati, OH###
* Take I-71 south into Kentucky.
* Merge onto I-275 west via exit 185.
* Follow I-275 into Indiana and exit onto US-50 west.
* Travel south on US-50 to Lawrenceburg where you enter the byway.
Navigating the Byway:
The byway begins on the Illinois-Indiana border on State Route 62 and runs along the Ohio River across southern Indiana.
* Starting on the IL-IN border, head east on Route 62.
* Cross Interstate 164 and take State Route 66 south and east as it meanders across the state, through Tell City and Hoosier National Forest.
* In Hoosier National Forest Route 66 turns north.
* At Sulphur in the Hoosier National Forest, take State Route 62 east to Louisville and on north to Madison.
* At Madison take State Route 56 east.
* State Route 56 becomes State Route 156 and then turns back into 56.
* At Aurora, SR 56 becomes Highway 50.
* Follow this to the state line, where the Indiana part of the byway ends and the Ohio part begins.