Quartzville Road Back Country Byway
Department of Transportation.
Meander beside the blue-green depths of the Green Peter Reservoir and the Quartzville Creek National Wild and Scenic River as you discover a pathway of old-growth forests, highlighted with a varied collection of wildflowers and startling reds and golds of autumn foliage.
Paralleling the winding river of Quartzville Creek, the Quartzville Creek Back Country Byway provides glimpses of old growth forest, wildlife and opportunities to pan for gold, fish or kayak in the waters of the creek.
Camp out against the protection of a rocky outcropping, filch a few sweet summer berries from the huckleberry patches that dot the roadway, or make a bundle of sweet smelling wildflowers to remind your of your trip along this scenic road.
Getting to the Byway:
- In the town of Albay head east on SE 24th Ave toward Tudor Way SE.
- In 1/2 mile turn left at SE Geary St.
- After 1 mile turn right at 9th Ave SE/OR-99e/US-20.After 2.6 miles continue on OR-20.
- After 6 miles continue on US_20.
- After 19.6 miles continue on Main St/OR-20.
- After 3.2 miles continue on US-20.
- After 1.7 miles turn left at Quartzville Dr. Here the byway begins.
In the town of Eugene head north on Washington St.
After 1/2 mile make a slight left at I-105 E.
After 3.5 miles take the exit on the left onto I-5 toward Portland.
After 22.5 miles take exit 216 at OR-228 toward Halsey/Brownsville.
After 0.2 miles turn right at OR-228 (signs for Sweet Home/Brownsville).
After 15 miles turn left to stay on OR-228.
After 4 miles turn right at Main St/US-20.
After 1.5 miles continue on OR-20.
After 2.7 miles continue on US-20.
After 1.7 miles turn left at Quartzville Drive. Here the byway begins.
Navigating the Byway:
- The byway begins at the juncture of US-20 and Quartzville Drive at Foster Lake.
- Head north on Quartzville Drive toward Hufford Road.
- Stay on Quartzville Drive for 25 miles then make a slight right at NFD 11 Road.
- After 23.7 miles the byway ends at the juncture of SR-22 and NFD Rd 11.