Department of Transportation.
Follow the footsteps of George Washington through West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle and a landscape rich in historic, natural, and scenic resources. Mountains and valleys, rivers and springs, vestiges of bygone industries and five picturesque 18th-century towns highlight a rural retreat combined with rich cultural attractions.
Getting to the Byway:
Baltimore/Washington International Airport (BWI), MD
* From the airport, head northeast on Friendship Rd. * Keep left and merge onto I-195 W. * Take exit 2B and merge onto Balt/Wash Pkwy/MD-295. * Take the exit onto MD-100 W toward Ellicott City. * Merge onto US-29 N. Take exit 25B to merge onto I-70 W toward Frederick. * Take exit 52 to merge onto US-15 S/US-340 W toward Leesburg/Charlestown. * Continue to follow US-340 W until you reach the byway's eastern terminus in Harper's Ferry.
Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), VA
* From the airport, head north on Smith Blvd. *Smith Blvd joins up with the George Washington Memorial Parkway. * Continue on the Parkway, and take the exit to Capital Beltway/I-495. * Keep left and merge onto I-270 N/Washington National Pike. * Take exit 32 and merge onto I-70 W. * Take exit 52 US-340 W/US-15 S/Catoctin Mountain Hwy. * Keep right and continue on US-340 W until you reach Harper's Ferry, the eastern terminus of the byway.
Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD), VA
* From the airport, head east on Saarinen Circle. * Merge onto Hirst Brault Expressway. * Take the exit toward VA-28/VA-287. * Keep right at the fork, follow signs for VA-267/Leesburg. * Continue toward VA-267 W and merge onto VA-267 W. * Take exit 1A to merge onto US-15 S/VA-7 W toward Warrenton/Leesburg. * Continue on Harry Byrd Hwy/VA-7 W. Take the exit toward Hillsboro. * Merge onto Charles Town Pike/VA-9. Take a sharp right at Chestnut Hill Rd. Take a sharp left at US-340. * Continue on US-340 until you reach the byway's eastern terminus in Harper's Ferry.
City of Frederick, MD
Get onto US-340 W and drive for about 25 miles.
* On I-376 travel east to Monroeville. * Take I-76 southeast to East Providence. * Merge onto I-70 and go south to Hancock. * Get onto US-522 and go south to Berkeley Springs where the byway begins.
* Get on the Capitol Beltway/ I-495 heading west to I-270 to Frederick, MD. * Get on I-70 and travel to the first exit. * Take 340 to Harper’s Ferry where the byway begins.
Navigating the Byway:
+ Starting in Charles Town in the southern section of the byway, travel east on US 340. + Continue on US 340 to Harper's Ferry or turn left onto County Road 230 and travel north to Shepherdstown. + From Shepherdstown, travel southwest on SR 480 until the turnoff to County Road 10. + Travel northwest on County Road 10 which later changes to County Road 36 until you reach Martinsburg. + From Martinsburg, travel north on SR 9 to Hedgesville. + At Hedgesville continue on SR 9 to Berkeley Springs. + From Berkeley Springs, you can continue on SR 9 to the community of Pawpaw, or you can drive southwest on County Road 9/10 until it joins with US 522. + Stay on US 522 until the turnoff to County Road 38/10. + From County Road 38/10, turn right onto County Road 28/2, then turn left onto County Road 11. + At the community of Unger, turn left onto County Road 13. + Stay on 13 until the turnoff to 13/5. + Travel northeast on 13/5 until the turnoff to 7/13. + County Road 7/13 continues past the community of Shanghai to County Road 20. + Travel south on County Road 20 until the community of Gerrardstown. + At Gerrardstown, travel southwest on SR 51 to the turn off to County Road 51/1. + Travel south on 51/1 to 13/3. + 13/3 leads back to Charlestown and US 340, where the byway ends.