Bureau of Land Management, California.
The Van Matre family owned several farm properties throughout the plain. This property, known to them as "The Camp" was orginally homesteaded by Jerry Hagerty in 1930. At the end of World War II he sold it to Jinx and Barbara Van Matre who used it seasonally when wheat was planted in late autumn and again during the summer harvests. There is an interpretative trail around the house and farm equipment.
Once on Carrizo Plain National Monument, continue on Soda Lake Road for approximatley 23 miles turn left onto dirt road. Follow dirt road for 2 miles, turn right and Van Matre Ranch parking area is 1/2 mile down the road. **NOTE** Dirt road is impassable when wet.