Glen Canyon Dam, 15 miles upstream from Lees Ferry, is the key feature of the Colorado River Storage Project. The structure is 710 feet high, has a crest length of 1,560 feet, and contains 4,901,000 cubic yards of concrete. Thickness of the dam at the crest is 25 feet and the maximum base thickness is 300 feet. The absence of rail facilities near the contruction site of Glen Canyon Dam necessitated construction of Glen Canyon Bridge for the transportation of construction materials and equipment from railheads to the site. A single-span, steel-arch structure, the bridge has an overall length of 1,271 feet. At its completion in 1959, it was the highest arch bridge in the world and the second longest of its type in the U.S. The bridge spans the Colorado River 865 feet downstream from the dam. The deck of the bridge is 700 feet above river level. Free guided tours of the dam, overlook viewpoints, and inside the power plant are conducted year-round by the Glen Canyon Natural History Association. The Carl Hayden Visitor Center, where the tours originate, is named after the late AZ Senator, contains exhibits that focus on the history of the dam and Glen Canyon and is open daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Memorial Day to Labor Day; and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. the rest of the year. The visitor center is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Tour hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and are limited to 20 persons each tour. Visitors to the Carl Hayden Center are required to pass through metal detectors and no large bags are allowed in the visitor center or on the tours. People can pick up free tickets for the tours at the Center. For more information on tours contact the Glen Canyon Natural History Association at (520) 608-6404 or tour information.
The dam is located off highway 89, two miles north of Page, Arizona