Flaming Gorge Dam was built by the Bureau of Reclamation as part of the Colorado River Storage project. Construction began in June 1958 with the last bucket of concrete placed on November 15, 1962. The dam is a concrete thin arch structure with a maximum height of 502 feet and a crest length of 1,285 feet. The Flaming Gorge Dam Visitor Center is open April 15 through October 15. The public will be able to access exhibits inside the visitor center and use facilities during normal hours, with increased safety protocols to comply with the Department of the Interior's mandated 25% pre-COVID-19 occupancy and safety measures. Guided tours of the dam will not be offered, but a portion of the walkway will allow visitors to view the riverside of the dam. The parking lot and rest rooms close in the evening. Underwater diving is no longer permitted in the area of the dam and visitor center. Diving is allowed away from the dam and outside of the buoy lines above and below the dam.
The dam is located 43 miles north of Vernal, Utah. From Vernal take State Highway 44 to highway 373, head north to the dam.