Us Army Corps of Engineers, Indiana.
Mississinewa Lake: the name Mississinewa was derived from the Miami Indian word "Mis-chis-in-wah," which means water on a slope. The area is rich in Indian history. Chief Francis Godfroy established the Miami Trading Post near the mouth of the Mississinewa in 1817. Frances Slocum was abducted as a child and raised by Miami Indians. She was referred to as the "White Rose of the Miami's," married an Osage War Chief, and settled in the Mississinewa Area. Both were buried on project land, and their burial sites were moved during lake construction.
Approximately 65 miles northeast of Indianapolis. From Peru, south on IN 21, east on IN 400, north on Rt. 550.