South Yuba Recreation Area
Bureau of Land Management, California.
Pitch-In! Please do your part to keep our public lands clean and safe. Pack-it-In and Pack-it-Out. Please RECREATE RESPONSIBLY
The South Yuba Campground is CLOSED for the season.
Anticipated opening is third week in April.
Remember your OUTDOOR ETHICS when enjoying your public lands.
The South Yuba Wild & Scenic River Recreation Area and National Trail is located approximately 10 miles northeast of Nevada City, California. The Recreation Area is administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM); U.S. Forest Service (USFS); and California Department of Parks and Recreation (State Parks/DPR). This 15 mile trail is open to hiking, horseback riding, trail running and mountain biking. The trail is closed to motorized vehicles. The South Yuba Trail takes hikers, mountain bikers, and horseback riders through historic foothill river canyons. Expect to see evidence of California's rich gold rush history.
Bear encounters are always a possibility at the South Yuba River.
There are bear lockers for food storage at each campsite within the South Yuba Campground. No bear proof trashcans on-site, so please pitch-in and pack-it-out. BE BEAR AWARE.
Unstable trail and landslides between Purdon and Edward Crossings along the South Yuba Trail. Approximately 1 and 1/2 mile in from Edward Crossing trail head. Use caution when hiking along trail. The South Yuba Wild & Scenic River is approximately one mile from the campground.
Need a Map?
South Yuba Recreation Area & Trail Map
South Yuba Campground Site Map
FACILITIES AT THE SOUTH YUBA CAMPGROUND:
- Includes sixteen (16) campsites for tents.
- Six (6) sites will accommodate small trailers/RV's.
- Fifteen (15) sites are ADA Accessible.
- RV maximum length is 22 feet. Trailer maximum length is 16 feet.
- All sites with tables, water, fire rings, pit toilets and trashcans.
- Bear lockers for food storage at each campsite.
PERMITS, FEES, AND LIMITATIONS:
- Pay sites, $5.00 per night, per site.
- Eight people maximum per site. Two car maximum per site.
- First come first serve basis. No reservation system available.
- Fourteen (14) day camp limit within a 90 day period.
- Pay camp fee within 30 minutes of occupying site.
- Self-pay Iron Ranger fee system.
- A campsite is rented ONLY once it has been paid in full with the pay-stub properly completed and attached to campsite post and the site is occupied by campers.
- Season of use: Spring through Fall (weather permitting).
- Seasonal Closure: October 15th.
- Dispersed camping is allowed along the South Yuba Trail in remote locations. You may park in the day use parking area for a 72 hour period. It is a one mile walk from the parking area to the river.
Be Bear Aware
Keep Me Wild: Mountain Lion (CDFW webpage)
Dreamflows Home Page (River flow info courtesy of Chris Shackleton, Sacramento, CA)
Return To: BLM, Mother Lode Field Office
Recreation Passes: America the Beautiful — National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass
- Horseback Riding
- Wildlife Viewing
From Nevada City: Follow Highway 49 to North Bloomfield Road and travel ten (10) miles to South Yuba Recreation Lands. From the one lane bridge at Edwards Crossing it is approximately 1 1/2 miles on a dirt/gravel road to the campground.
PLEASE NOTE: the bridge at Edward Crossing has a 4 ton limit. RV's, trailers and vehicles over 4 tons not recommended.
For RV's/Trailers/Vehicles over 4 tons: Recommended Route - Follow Highway 49 to Tyler Foote Crossing. Turn right onto Grizzly Hill Road to the intersection with North Bloomfield Road and make a left turn. Proceed through a small residential area and make a right hand turn into the campground.