South Yuba Recreation Area
Bureau of Land Management, California.
NOTICE: Increased Fire Restrictions
- Effective July 1, 2021 - NO campfires, barbeques, or open fires of any kind. Portable stoves with gas, jelled petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel are still allowed with a valid California Campfire Permit.
Read: INCREASED FIRE RESTRICTIONS.
The South Yuba Campground is OPEN
Remember your OUTDOOR ETHICS when enjoying your public lands. Please RECREATE RESPONSIBLY.
The South Yuba Wild & Scenic River Recreation Area and National Trail is located approximately 10 miles northeast of Nevada City, California. The Recreation Area is administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM); U.S. Forest Service (USFS); and California Department of Parks and Recreation (State Parks/DPR). This 15 mile trail is open to hiking, horseback riding, trail running and mountain biking. The trail is closed to motorized vehicles. The South Yuba Trail takes hikers, mountain bikers, and horseback riders through historic foothill river canyons. Expect to see evidence of California's rich gold rush history.
Need a Map?
FACILITIES AT THE SOUTH YUBA CAMPGROUND:
- Includes sixteen (16) campsites for tents.
- Six (6) sites will accommodate small trailers/RV's.
- Fifteen (15) sites are ADA Accessible.
- RV maximum length is 22 feet. Trailer maximum length is 16 feet.
- All sites with tables, water, fire rings, pit toilets and trashcans.
- Bear proof lockers for food storage ONLY at each campsite.
- The South Yuba Wild & Scenic River is approximately one mile from the campground.
CAMPGROUND FEES, AND LIMITATIONS:
- Campsites, $5.00 per night, per site. Recreation Pass $2.50 per night, per site.
- Pay camp fee within 30 minutes of occupying site.
- Self-pay Iron Ranger.
- Check-out is by 12 noon.
- First come first serve basis.
- No reservation system available.
- Eight people maximum per site. Two car maximum per site.
- Fourteen (14) day camp limit within a 90 day period.
ADDITIONAL CAMPGROUND INFO:
- Self-pay Iron Ranger fee system. Use provided envelopes with the pay-stub properly completed and attached to campsite post. A campsite is rented ONLY once it has been paid in full w/pay-stub posted and the site is occupied by campers.
- Dispersed camping is allowed along the South Yuba Trail in remote locations at Illinois Crossing and Primitive Camp. You may park in the Day-Use parking area for a 72 hour period. NO campfires allowed in dispersed camping areas. Cook stoves are allowed. NO bear proof lockers or trashcans available in dispersed camping areas. BE BEAR AWARE.
- Dogs are allowed at the South Yuba Recreation Area. Please keep your dog on a leash when in the South Yuba Campground. And for you and the dog's safety, we advise using a leash while hiking the South Yuba Trail.
Return To: BLM, Mother Lode Field Office
- Day Use Area
- Historic & Cultural Site
- Horseback Riding
- Mountain Biking
- Swimming Site
- Water Activities
- Wildlife Viewing
From Nevada City: Follow Highway 49 to North Bloomfield Road and travel ten (10) miles to South Yuba Recreation Lands. From the one lane bridge at Edwards Crossing it is approximately 1 1/2 miles on a dirt/gravel road to the campground.
PLEASE NOTE: the bridge at Edward Crossing has a 4 ton limit. RV's, trailers and vehicles over 4 tons not recommended.
For RV's/Trailers/Vehicles over 4 tons: Recommended Route - Follow Highway 49 to Tyler Foote Crossing. Turn right onto Grizzly Hill Road to the intersection with North Bloomfield Road and make a left turn. Proceed through a small residential area and make a right hand turn into the campground.