Gerber Recreation Area
Near Bonanza, Oregon
Gerber Recreation Area does not offer reservations through Recreation.gov. Please take a look at the area details below for more information about visiting this location. Enjoy your visit!
Notice: Gerber Horse Camp is now open for the season. Currently, there are no fees as there is no garbage service or potable water available. Fees will be charged when potable water is available.
Gerber is set on a vast plateau in the high desert about one hour’s drive east of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Mountain ridges and scattered Ponderosa Pine forests add variety and texture to the area. Gerber offers opportunities for camping, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, and mountain biking, along with access to 100,000 acres of backcountry suitable for exploring, hunting, wildlife viewing, and scenic OHV driving. Developed campsites are available at Gerber North and South Campgrounds. The area also offers primitive campsites, a horse camp, and a day-use area as well as two boat ramps.
Know Before You Go:
- Open Season Gerber Recreation Area is open YEAR ROUND.
- The North and South Campgrounds have 50 sites with picnic tables, fire rings, and tent pads.
- Peak Season generally extends from May through September. Camping and day-use fees ARE collected and amenities such as drinking water, trash collection, and campground hosts ARE provided.
- Off Season generally extends from October through April. Campground and day-use fees are NOT collected and amenities ARE NOT provided.
- The Horse Camp is generally open from May through October. It has 7 camp sites with picnic tables, fire rings, tent pads, and double corral/horse stalls.
- America the Beautiful Pass accepted.
- Universal Access Restrooms available.
- Pets must be kept on a leash.
Point of Interest:
There are numerous small reservoirs scattered through the greater Gerber area and nearby Fremont-Winema National Forest that provide fishing and wildlife viewing opportunities.