Wing Mountain Dispersed Camping
Coconino National Forest Recreation, Near Flagstaff, Arizona
Wing Mountain Dispersed Camping does not offer reservations through Recreation.gov. Please take a look at the area details below for more information about visiting this location. Enjoy your visit!
Looking for a camping spot in the woods with easy access to some of the Flagstaff area's fantastic trails and recreation opportunities along US 180? The Wing Mountain area southwest of the San Francisco Peaks offers fantastic dispersed camping along Forest Roads (FRs) 222 and 171, suitable for tents, campers, and recreational vehicles.
Wing Mountain is a prominent cinder cone volcano located approximately six miles southwest of the San Francisco Peaks, rising to an elevation of 8,560 feet. The mountain is surrounded by ponderosa pine forest on fairly level terrain at approximately 7,600 feet.
- FR 222 and FR 171: Easy to navigate, with fairly smooth, wide dirt roads offering areas where you may pull your vehicle and rig up to 300 feet off the road (refered to as "camping corridors" on the Motor Vehicle Use Map).
- Western end of FR 222A (between FR 171 and FR 519): Easy to navigate and offers areas suitable for everything from tents to recreational vehicles.
- Northern end of FR 222A (near FR 222) and western end of FR 9001P (near FR 171): These roads are narrower and rougher, and more suited to tent or small trailer camping.
Nearby Attractions and Activities
Distances and estimated driving times from the junction of US 180 and Forest Road 222:
- Arizona Snowbowl: 8 miles, 16 minutes
- Humphreys, Aspen Loop, and Kachina trailheads (at the Snowbowl): 8 miles, 16 minutes
- Kendrick Park Watchable Wildlife Trail: 11.5 miles, 13 minutes
- Bismarck Lake Trail: 13.5 miles, 22 minutes
- Arizona Nordic Village: 7.8 miles, 10 minutes
- Red Mountain Trail: 23 miles, 27 minutes
- Slate Mountain Trail: 24 miles, 40 minutes
- Lava River Cave: 10.5 miles, 20 (via FR 245) to 30 minutes (via FR 222)