Near Parker, Arizona
Swansea Historic Ghost Town does not offer reservations through Recreation.gov. Please take a look at the area details below for more information about visiting this location. Enjoy your visit!
Mining in the Swansea Area began around 1862, but major activity had to wait for the coming of the railroad. In 1904 the Arizona & California Railroad began constructing a line from Wickenburg to Parker. Seeing an opportunity for further development several of the original miners, Newton Evans and Thomas Jefferson Carrigan, secured investment money and began to develop Swansea. By the end of 1908, a 350 ton capacity furnace, a 3.5 mile water pipeline from the Bill Williams River, and the hoists for five mine shafts were under construction. By 1909 Swansea had a population of 500. The following year the Arizona & Swansea railroad began operation from Bouse. The railroad was key in moving supplies and people in and out of the growing mining town. Financial problems set in by 1911 and the mines shutdown with a brief reopening in 1912. The American Smelting and Refining Company bought the mines in 1914 and rebuilt much of the town. The new owners ran the mines until 1937 when the Great Depression closed the mines for good.
Little remains in the town from the glory days of Swansea. The townsite has suffered from the weather and vandalism in recent years. Several adobe and brick buildings, the railroad grade, numerous foundations, and the mine shafts remain.
The open mine shafts and tunnels are dangerous and should be avoided. Please do not take any of the historic artifacts. From rusty cans and weathered wood to bricks--these all tell the story of Swansea.