Lower Cave Tour
Carlsbad Caverns National Park Tours
- In 1924, a National Geographic expedition wrote about the wonders of Lower Cave. Today visitors can see these wonders for themselves as well as evidence from early explorations. This exciting adventure begins with a 15 foot (4.5 m) descent down smooth flowstone using a knotted rope. Your journey continues down another 50 feet (17 m) on a series of three steep ladders. From there you continue past clear pools, cave pearls and a myriad of exceptional cave formations. Not recommended for anyone who is afraid of heights, enclosed spaces or darkness. The trail is wet or muddy in many places, making it extremely slippery.
- Hiking boots or hiking shoes with good aggressive tread are required. No sandals, flip flops, tennis shoes, or similar footwear. You will not be allowed to participate in the tour if you are not wearing proper footwear—no exceptions.
- No backpacks. Helmets, headlamp and gloves will be provided.
- Note that caving is inherently risky and cave rescues are difficult, dangerous and take hours to accomplish.
Select a date to see a list of times
Need to Know
- I have read and agree with the arrival time requirements for guided tours.
- Reserved tickets must be picked up no later than 30 minutes prior to the posted tour starting time. No refunds for late arrivals.
- Hiking boots or hiking shoes with good aggressive tread are required. Hiking boots with ankle support are recommended. No sandals, flip flops, tennis shoes, or similar. You will not be allowed to participate in the tour if you are not wearing proper footwear—no exceptions.
- Visitor Center Hours—Winter hours are from the day after Labor Day through the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Summers hours are from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Participants are required to have a general entrance and a tour ticket. Long sleeves or a light jacket recommended.
- Children under twelve years of age are not allowed.
- Prices for Inter-agency Senior and Access pass holders are for those pass holders only. All others must purchase a separate full priced tour ticket.
- Only very small fanny packs or very small camera bags are permitted on the tour.
- Accessibility: There is no handicap accessibility on this tour.
- Amenities: Restrooms are located in the visitor center and in the cavern Underground Lunchroom. There are no restroom opportunities during the tour. There is a restaurant in the visitor center as well as limited food available in the cavern Underground Lunchroom. Bookstore and gift shop are located in the visitor center. Kennel Services are available.