With over 2,000 species found world-wide, there are only three species of synchronous flashing fireflies that can be found in North America. Every year, Congaree National Park hosts synchronous fireflies for approximately two weeks starting in the spring. This event offeres visitors with a chance to experience an awe-inspiring display of synchronous firefly flashing.
Select a date to see a list of times
Lottery for Parking Passes High Event passes will be distributed via lottery in order to provide an equitable opportunity for all interested visitors in this limited, yet high-demand event.
• There will be a total of 120 vehicle passes per evening available for each night of the event
• Only one application per household will be accepted
• You must enter the date you would like to attend, and you may choose up to two alternate dates
• Vehicle parking passes are $20.00. All lottery applicants will be charged a $1 non-refundable application fee. Lottery winners will automatically be awarded the parking pass, and the remaining balance of $19 will be charged to the same credit or debit card used for the application fee. If the charge to the card is declined for any reason, the reservation will be forfeited.
• There are no refunds, transfers, rain checks or changes to reservations
• Winners will be awarded a parking pass for one of their specified dates. This date cannot be changed once the pass has been awarded.
• Vehicle pass holders must be present in the vehicle upon arrival and must present photo identification which matches the name on the vehicle pass
• Reservations are non-transferrable
• This is a rain or shine event. No refunds or rain checks will be issued should firefly activity be diminished due to external influences such as weather or due to natural firefly behavior and their life cycles
• All vehicles may have no more than two (2) axles and must be able to park in a standard parking space (9’x18’)
• No vehicle requiring a commercial driver’s license will be permitted
• Oversize vehicles including, but not limited to, RVs, vehicles towing trailers, or buses of any size will not be permitted
• All passengers must be legally seated and secured inside the vehicle
• Entry into the parking area will begin no earlier than 6:30 PM
The firefly viewing area is located adjacent to the Harry Hampton Visitor Center. For the most enjoyable experience during this event, please be aware of the following:
• The Harry Hampton Visitor Center and park bookstore will be open to event participants until 10:00 PM
• Restrooms and water will be available outside of the Visitor Center until 10:00 PM
• Flashlight use should be kept to a minimum. All flashlights should have a red-mode or the lens should be covered with red cellophane. Flashlights without red mode or red cellophane covering are not permitted
• Please always keep flashlights pointed towards the ground and turned off when not walking
• Flash photography is strictly prohibited. Please refrain from the use of cell phone cameras for photos and/or videos, as they produce light that can disturb both the fireflies and other visitors
• This is a rain or shine event. In the event of inclement weather, visitors can take shelter in their vehicles. Please wear or bring appropriate clothing for the evening’s forecast.
• Due to limited space in the firefly viewing area, strollers and wagons are prohibited for this event. Parents with infants and young children are encouraged to bring a carrier.
• Pets are not permitted at this event. Service animals are welcome.
• Backpacks, coolers and/or lawn chairs are prohibited in the viewing area
• Grills or camping stoves may not be used
• Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages will not be permitted during this event
• Vehicles requiring a CDL, with more than 2 axles, or requiring a parking space larger than 9’x18’ are prohibited
• Bug spray kills and repels the fireflies visitors come to see, so its use should be minimized; bug spray should be applied prior to arrival at the site and not applied after entering the park