Piedras Blancas Light Station

Piedras Blancas Historic Lightstation Outstanding Natural Area

The Piedras Blancas Light Station is a historic landmark on California's central coast. Located on a rugged, windswept point of land six miles north of Hearst Castle along California's scenic Highway 1, the Lighthouse was first illuminated in 1875, and today beckons the visitor for respite from the modern world. The Light Station is named for the distinctive white rocks that loom just offshore. These rocks and the rugged shoreline are home to seabirds, sea lions, and elephant seals. Over 70 native plant species can be found on the 19 acres surrounding the Light Station.
Over the years, earthquakes have caused damage to the lighthouse. An earthquake on the last day of 1948 resulted in the upper part of the lighthouse being declared structurally unsound. In 1949, the upper three levels (fourth landing, watch room, and lantern) were removed.

The Bureau of Land Management manages the Piedras Blancas Light Station as a historic park and wildlife sanctuary.

Access to Piedras Blancas by guided tours only. Tours are offered year-round and feature cultural and natural history, as well as spectacular scenery.

Piedras Blancas Light Station tours available at 9:45am ONLY. Tours are approximately 2 hours long.

The Piedras Blancas Light Station is a historic landmark on California's central coast. Located on a rugged, windswept point of land six miles north of Hearst Castle along California's scenic Highway 1, the Lighthouse was first illuminated in 1875, and today beckons the visitor for respite from the modern world. The Light Station is named for the distinctive white rocks that loom just offshore. These rocks and the rugged shoreline are home to seabirds, sea lions, and elephant seals. Over 70 native plant species can be found on the 19 acres surrounding the Light Station.
Over the years, earthquakes have caused damage to the lighthouse. An earthquake on the last day of 1948 resulted in the upper part of the lighthouse being declared structurally unsound. In 1949, the upper three levels (fourth landing, watch room, and lantern) were removed.

The Bureau of Land Management manages the Piedras Blancas Light Station as a historic park and wildlife sanctuary.

Access to Piedras Blancas by guided tours only. Tours are offered year-round and feature cultural and natural history, as well as spectacular scenery.

Piedras Blancas Light Station tours available at 9:45am ONLY. Tours are approximately 2 hours long.

Notifications and Alerts

Need to Know

Changes and Cancellations

No refunds once tour starts. See Facility Rates for fees.

Contact Information

Mailing Address

Box 129 San Simeon CA 93452

Phone Number

805-927-7361 PIEDRASBLANCASTOURS@GMAIL.COM

Available Tours and Tickets

Photo Gallery