Rocky Mountain National Park Timed Entry
Rocky Mountain National Park
Timed Entry Permit Reservations are not currently required to enter Rocky Mountain National Park
Planning to visit the park during Summer 2023? Rocky Mountain National Park will implement another pilot temporary timed entry permit reservation system beginning on May 26 through October 22, 2023.
What Will the 2023 System Look Like?
The reservation permit system is similar to that used in 2022. There will be two different Timed Entry Permit Reservations options available to choose from.
- Option 1 - Park Access + Bear Lake Road will cover all destinations along the Bear Lake Road Corridor, which includes popular destinations like Bear Lake, Moraine Park, Park & Ride, Sprague Lake, Glacier Gorge, Cub Lake, and Fern Lake Trailheads, as well as access to the rest of the park. To access any area along Bear Lake Road, these Timed Entry Permit Reservations will be required between the hours of 5 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
- Option 2 - Park Access, Does Not Include Bear Lake Road will cover all areas of Rocky Mountain National Park located outside of the Bear Lake Road corridor. This is the best Timed Entry Permit for visitors planning to drive over Trail Ridge Road, recreate on the west side of the park, as well as access Longs Peak, Lily Lake, East Inlet, Wild Basin, and all other outlying areas of RMNP. This “rest of park” Timed Entry Permit Reservation period will be in effect between the hours of 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
How Will Rocky Mountain National Park's 2023 Reservation System Differ from Previous Years?
Rocky Mountain National Park is committed to trying new things and being adaptive. Each year that the park has implemented a pilot Timed Entry Permit System, we have learned new ways to make improvements. There are a few key ways that the 2023 pilot Timed Entry Permit System will be different from past years.
- Reducing the time period and number of hours daily that reservations are in effect for most areas of the park. For the "Park Access, Does Not Include Bear Lake Road" Timed Entry Permits, they will be in effect between the hours of 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. In 2022, these permits were in effect between the hours of 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- For visitors who are camping at Aspenglen, Glacier Basin, and Timber Creek Campgrounds, your Timed Entry Permit is included with your camping reservation. In 2023, these campers will be able to initially enter the park beginning at 1 p.m. on the first day of their camping reservation, which is also the check in time for all park campgrounds. Campers who plan to enter the park earlier in the day will have to enter the park outside of the times when Timed Entry Permits are in effect (for example, before 9 a.m. for most areas of the park).
- This year, the pilot Timed Entry Permit System will be extended through October 22, 2023.
- This year, 40 percent of all reservations will be released via Recreation.gov on the day prior to a desired arrival date beginning at 5 p.m. MT.
- This year, visitors who enter the Bear Lake Road corridor with their Timed Entry Permit and who want to exit and return later in the day, may re-enter the Bear Lake Road corridor anytime after 2 p.m.
When Will Timed Entry Permits Be Available to reserve via Recreation.gov?
RMNP's Timed Entry Permit Reservations will be available through www.recreation.gov beginning at 8 a.m. MDT on Monday, May 1.
- This round of reservations will be available to enter the park from May 26 through June 30.
- The next release will occur on June 1, for the month of July and any remaining days that have not been booked for June.
- On July 1, reservations will be available for the month of August and any remaining days that have not been booked for July.
- On August 1, reservations will be available for the month of September and any remaining days in August that have not been booked.
- On September 1, reservations will be available for October and any remaining days in September that have not been booked.
Notifications and Alerts
Reservation Tip: Login to your account or create a new account before tickets go on sale. We recommend you book online to avoid delays. The Call Center does not have additional inventory for sale.
Timed Entry Permit Reservations are not currently required to enter Rocky Mountain National Park.
Rocky Mountain National Park will implement a pilot temporary timed entry reservation system from May 26 to October 22, 2023. For additional details, visit the park's webpage at https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/timed-entry-permit-system.htm.
For information on 2023, visit the park's webpage at https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/timed-entry-permit-system.htm
Changes and Cancellations
For specific entence fee and annual pass information please visit: Fees & Passes - Rocky Mountain National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)
1000 HWY 36 Estes Park CO 80517
(970) 586-1206 (HOURS: 8AM - 4:30PM MDT ON WEEKDAYS AND 8AM - 12PM MDT WEEKENDS)