Site 024, Loop Upper Loop
Channel Islands National Park | Santa Cruz Scorpion
Type: TENT ONLY NONELECTRIC
Enter dates to check availability
- Checkin Time: 12:00 PM
- Proximity to Water: Island,
- Campfire Allowed: No
- Capacity/Size Rating: Single
- Max Num of People: 6
- Min Num of People: 1
- Pets Allowed: No
- Shade: Yes
- Site Access: Hike-In
- Checkout Time: 11:00 AM
- Hike In Distance to Site: 2640
- Is Equipment Mandatory: Yes
- Max Num of Vehicles: 0
Need to Know
- Santa Cruz Island may only be reached by boat. Visitors are required to arrange boat transportation to the island before reserving a campsite. Contact the park's authorized concessioner Island Packers or use your own private boat .
- Camping reservations are required prior to arriving on the island. There are NO walk-ups at this facility. Boat transportation arrangements to the island must be made before making a campsite reservation.
- There are 25 individual campsites. Max 6 people per site. Max 3 tents per site. A party or group of 12 or less may reserve a maximum of 2 individual sites.
- A party or group of 13 or more are not allowed in individual sites and must use the group sites (A-F) in the upper campground.
- A party or group of 46 or more may not reserve any sites through recreation.gov and must contact the park to obtain a special use permit: https://www.nps.gov/chis/learn/management/special-use-permits.htm.
- Upon arrival, meet ranger at beach, landing dock or campground. However, park staff is not always available on the island. Please have confirmation letter, receipt, or campsite number with you.
- 1/2 mile to 1 mile hike to campground. Visitors must carry all their own gear.
- Primitive camping. Tent camping only, no electricity/water/sewer site hook-ups at this campground. Bring low profile tents and extra food for weather delays. Partial shade from trees. Picnic table, food storage box, and drinking water provided. No stores or services.
- Quiet time is enforced at 10:00 pm.
- Proper food and trash storage is required. Food/Trash storage lockers are provided at each site. Recommend hard-sided container (i.e. action packer) to further protect food/garbage from animals.
- Visitors are required to pack out what they pack in, including garbage.
- No campfires or charcoal fires. Only enclosed gas camp stoves are allowed.
- Smoking is only allowed on beach areas at Scorpion, Smugglers, and Prisoners Harbors.
- Avoid contact with deer mice. Hantavirus has been found in island deer mice. For more information visit: https://www.nps.gov/chis/planyourvisit/hantavirus.htm.
- To help prevent the introduction of nonnative species the following items may not be brought to the park: pets; live or potted plants; soil; cut flowers; firewood or any untreated, unfinished wood (including hiking sticks); corrugated boxes; tools or equipment with attached soil; motorized vehicles; bicycles; and single-use plastic grocery bags.
- No fishing in marine reserves. California fishing license and ocean enhancement sticker required to fish outside marine reserves.
- Kayakers: ocean conditions can rapidly change, requiring expert abilities. Ocean kayaking is an inherently dangerous activity. Always check weather and do not kayak beyond your experience level.