Fish Lake Rec Site
Steens Mountain Cooperative Management & Protection Area, Near Frenchglen, Oregon
Fish Lake Rec Site does not offer reservations through Recreation.gov. Please take a look at the area details below for more information about visiting this location. Enjoy your visit!
Fish Lake Campground is located on the flanks of Steens Mountain, within the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protective Area (CMPA). This area encompasses an extraordinary landscape with deep glacier carved-gorges, stunning scenery, wilderness, wild rivers, a rich diversity of plant and animal species, and a way of life for all who live there. At 7400-foot elevation and set among aspen stands and shore willows, Fish Lake Campground offers great opportunities for swimming, picnicking, cross-country hiking, and fishing the lake for stocked keeper trout planted by Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Know Before You Go:
- Open Season Fish Lake Campground is open mid-June through October.
- High Clearance Vehicles Recommended on some portions of the Steens Mountain Loop.
- 23 Campsites with picnic tables and fire grates; first come, first serve.
- Universal Access Restroom available.
Drinking Water available.
- America the Beautiful Pass accepted.
- Pack Out Your Trash.
- Mountain Weather can be unpredictable and change suddenly.
- Ticks, Mosquitos, and Rattlesnakes may be present during summer months.
- The Nearest Services are in the communities of Fields, Frenchglen, Crane, or Narrows, Oregon.
Point of Interest: The Steens Mountain Loop Road
is a designated Oregon State Scenic Tour Route
. Travel the entire loop to experience all this unique landscape’s scenic vistas and abundant mix of wildlife.