The Life and Times of Thomas Edison
THIS GUIDED WALKING TOUR IS FOR ADULT AND COMMERCIAL GROUPS to learn about Thomas Edison’s West Orange Laboratory as this is our main group program for adult groups, its theme is by necessity broad. Visitors will come to understand Thomas Edison’s laboratory complex as a prototype of the research and development laboratories that are now ubiquitous worldwide.
- View Edison and his inventions on a continuum of innovation as opposed to being frozen in time when first patented.
- Gain contextual understanding of the life and times of TAE.
- See what work and workplaces in Edison’s laboratory looked like and compare them to other factories of the past and today.
Groups will be given a 1 hour walk through Building 5
- This 1 hour walk and talk of “The Life and Times of Thomas Edison” to gain background knowledge into what brought Edison to West Orange and the work he and his muckers accomplished here.
- The guided tour will include all 3 floors of building 5 with a phonograph demonstration in the music room.
Explore Thomas Edison's Lab, the tour could be adjusted to highlight topics of interest: Improved Phonographs, Storage Batteries, Motion Picture Technology, Edison Portland Cement houses, Iron Ore Separators, Rubber Research, and the Business of Innovation.
Select a date to see a list of times
Adult group tours are reserved for large business groups, or commercial groups. This tour is not intended for Family Groups or individuals.
The Life and Times of Thomas Edison tours are approximately 60 minutes long, with most of the time spent indoors.
When booking your group reservation, please ensure that you account for and pay the $1 Non-Refundable Reservation Fee for all adults. Book on Recreation.gov
A per person Entrance Fee of $15. is charged for anyone 16 years of age and older. Anyone under 16 years of age is free. It is valid for seven days. It admits the visitor to Edison's Laboratory buildings and grounds open to the public during their visit. Can Purchase on site at the Laboratory Visitor Center, 211 Main Street, West Orange, NJ.
EXCEPTION: If you have an IA Park Pass or Site Annual Pass the $15 Entrance fee is waived for the CARD HOLDER and 3 ADULT GUEST. IA Park Pass or Site Annual Pass must be present when you check in.
No food or drinks allowed on Site
Meet the guide at the Laboratory Visitor Center, located at 211 Main Street, West Orange, NJ. Tours begin promptly at the scheduled time. Please have your email confirmation form Recreation.gov to show your tour guide.
Visitors who arrive late will be admitted with an abbreviated tour or forfeit of a guided tour.
Thomas Edison National Historical Park is consistent with CDC guidance regarding Essex County, NJ transmission rates – please check the park website for the most up to date information about mask requirements.
October, November, December, March, April, and May