There's Still Time to Plan a Summer Outing
Home / Articles / There's Still Time to Plan a Summer Outing
If summer seems like it is passing you by, take a little time to discover a destination just down the road or beyond the horizon.
We know what you are thinking: the places you want to visit are already booked and have been for months. We get it – the competition for popular locations is fierce! For now, think about discovering a new destination that may have availability when you are able to visit.
Discover new destinations and consider mid-week visits
Check for campgrounds near you with availability throughout the rest of the summer, especially midweek. Keep in mind that fire restrictions could go into effect at any time, so know before you go what fire and smoke conditions may impact your visit.
Here are a few tips for finding places that are closer than you think.
- Find It: On the Recreation.gov homepage, scroll to the map and type in your location. The map will populate with recreation areas, campgrounds, trailheads, and other destinations that you can learn more about or reserve.
- Build It: Select the Trip Builder tool from the homepage. Enter your starting point and a destination. A map interface will populate with a selection of destinations and activities along your route. Discover places to camp, tour, and visit. Create an itinerary and book your next trip!
- Check It: You may already know where you want to go. Take a look to see if there is availability. Consider a mid-week visit to avoid the crowds and have a better chance of securing a site.
Harpers Ferry National Historical Park (Debbie Johnson, Share the Experience)
If you just don’t have time to squeeze in a last-minute camping trip, you can also discover a variety of unique experiences across the nation that are sure to interest anyone in your party. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Do you love history? There are countless tours from coast to coast where you can dive deep into nearly every chapter of our nation’s history. From historic homes, national monuments and memorials to lighthouses and historic sites, we’ve got it all. Set a filter for “historic tours” to view tours near you.
- Are you itching for one last adventure? Finish the summer off strong and search for a cave tour or hike to some of the best views in the nation. It’s not too late to grab your camera, head out and #BringHomeAStory!
- Ready to cool off? Beat the heat with a dip in a lake or an ocean swim. Kayak, canoe, or raft along refreshing waterways. Reserve a day use shelter, pack a picnic lunch and enjoy the views!
- Become one with nature! National Wildlife Refuges can be found in all sorts of inconspicuous places, sometimes no more than 10 miles (16.1 km) from busy urban areas. Keep your eyes peeled for late summer wildlife, flowers, and trees before they hide away for winter.
Explore Related Trips
Bring Home a Story